EDEN Aid - UPCOMING PROJECTS - MOBILE LIBRARY
Goal: to enrich the lives of children living in remote areas and to expose them to the wonderful world of reading.
1. A colorful vehicle, suitably outfitted, decorated with children's
drawings and playing appropriate music, will travel through a regular pre-announced route through neighborhoods, towns and villages that are selected.
2. In the vehicle there will be a volunteer who can also lead activities with the children, turning the weekly visit of the mobile library into a special experience for them. (Activities could include reading stories aloud, a puppet show, creative projects, workbooks etc.)
3. The children could exchange books at no cost or for a token payment.
4. For a token sum, the children could purchase workbooks and materials such as colored crayons, pencils, scissors, glue etc.
5. The volunteers could be university or college students (the possibility of providing a stipend to students participating in the program could be considered)
6. Volunteers could include young people who, upon completing army service in Israel, might be sent for periods of 1-3 months to accompany the program in the field. Within this framework, one might include graduates of the "Telem" program (a program for young Ethiopians who have completed their military service and spend a period of training on kibbutzim, including Yotvata).
7. The program could provide a model for similar activities in cities and in additional regions.
* Purchase of a van and outfitting it as a mobile library.
* Hiring of a local driver.
* Books: used books in English and Amharic that would be collected for this purpose in Addis Ababa or in Israel.
* Booklets translated into additional local languages. The translations would be done by student or other volunteers.
* Administrative backing:
A computer for generating materials. A good quality copy machine, preferably with the option of printing in color, for producing workbooks and copying booklets.
* An office for coordinating activities, broadcasting calls for contributions of used books, coordinating their collection, etc.
* Lodging and expenses for volunteers from Israel, new immigrants from Ethiopia, and other volunteers.